Monday, July 18, 2011

How to act around my dying great-aunt?

My great-auntie Millie is currently in a nursing home for dementia patients. She has had multiple strokes with little physical damage, just her ever-increasing Alzheimer's. It's to the point where if she can recognize you but not know your name or where she knows you from, she's having an awesome day. Well, I just found out today that she had another one, a really bad one. She can't talk and the doctors said anyone who wants to see her should come soon, she doesn't have a lot of time left. My grandma doesn't want me to go, but I really need to. I need closure and I need her to know a lot of things that I never got to tell her, so not going is not an option. I need to know how to act though, I'm afraid that I won't act the way that is "right" or that it'll be awkward, please help me?

No comments:

Post a Comment